Starting in January 2019, trash and recycling collection on about half of the streets in South Fayette Township will occur on Friday instead of Thursday. Please view and print the waste collection calendar and street collection list to find out if your service day is Thursday or Friday.
South Fayette Township offers curbside trash and recycling to single-family homes and multifamily residential buildings with four or fewer units. Waste collection is contracted to a third-party company. Fees are paid directly to the waste hauler through the township's general fund.
Garbage must be in properly secured containers or plastic bags, weighing no more than 50 pounds each. Do not exceed 15 bags/cans and one bulk item per week.
One large item per week is accepted curbside, such as furniture, household goods and disassembled children’s swing sets (cut to 4-foot length). (Consider donating first!)
Carpet should be rolled and tied in lengths not to exceed 4 feet.
Empty paint cans and/or dried paint is acceptable. Paint can be air-dried or soaked up with newspaper or kitty litter. The lids should be left off.
Leaves, Grass & Yard Waste
Yard waste should be in plastic bags. Please do not wash grass down storm drains.
Two curbside leaf collections are scheduled each fall. The night before pickup, place leaves and other yard waste at the curb in biodegradable bags no heavier than 25 pounds each. Yard waste may include leaves, hedge/tree/garden trimmings, brush, lawn edging and grass clippings. Check the calendar for dates.
Not Accepted in Trash
- Appliances containing refrigerant, such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers and water coolers
- Ashes from furnaces and fireplaces
- Automotive parts, including wheel rims and tires
- Construction or demolition materials (consider purchasing a Bagster)
- Electronics, such as televisions, computers, monitors and other computer equipment (find electronics recycling information here)
- Hazardous Household Waste, including liquid paint, thinners, cleaners, pesticides/herbicides, antifreeze
- Materials from fires or evictions
- Medical Waste
- Stones, concrete, rock and dirt
- Trees, branches and bushes (consider wood waste dropoff site)
Accepted in Trash
- Ceramics or dishware
- Envelopes / Window Envelopes
- Food waste, or any item containing food debris or liquid
- Freezer food packaging
- Meat or dairy
- Packaging (plastic or paper)
- Paper plates
- Plastics (except bottles, jugs and jars #1-2 are accepted in recycling)
- Plastic bags
- Plastic deli take-out containers
- Plastic utensils
- Plastic wrap or wrapping film
- Shredded paper
- Styrofoam packaging (formed or pellet)
- Wax paper
- Window glass