South Fayette Township offers curbside trash and recycling to single-family homes and multifamily residential buildings with four or fewer units. Waste collection is contracted to a third-party company. Fees are paid directly to the waste hauler through the township's general fund.
Garbage must be in properly secured containers or plastic bags.
One large item per week is accepted curbside, such as furniture, household goods and disassembled children’s swing sets. (Consider donating first!)
Carpet should be rolled and tied in lengths not to exceed 4 feet.
Empty paint cans and/or dried paint is acceptable. Paint can be air-dried or soaked up with newspaper or kitty litter. The lids should be left off.
Leaves, Grass & Yard Waste
Yard waste should be in plastic bags. Please do not wash grass down storm drains.
Two curbside leaf collections are scheduled each fall. The night before pickup, place leaves and other yard waste at the curb in biodegradable bags no heavier than 25 pounds each. Yard waste may include leaves, hedge/tree/garden trimmings, brush, lawn edging and grass clippings. Check the calendar for dates.
Not Accepted in Trash
- Appliances containing refrigerant, such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers and water coolers
- Construction and building materials (consider purchasing a Bagster)
- Hazardous Household Waste, including liquid paint, thinners, cleaners, pesticides/herbicides
- Automobile parts, including wheel rims and tires
- Trees, branches and bushes (consider wood waste dropoff site)
- Ashes from furnaces and fireplaces
- Stones and dirt
- Electronics, such as televisions, computers, monitors and other computer equipment (find electronics recycling information here)
Accepted in Trash (not recycling)
- Ceramics or dishware
- Food waste
- Freezer food packaging
- Meat or dairy
- Packaging (plastic or paper)
- Paper plates
- Plastic bags
- Plastic deli take-out containers
- Plastic utensils
- Plastic wrap or wrapping film
- Styrofoam packaging (formed or pellet)
- Wax paper
- Window glass