Occupancy Registration

  1. Residential
  2. Commercial
  3. Sanitary Sewer
  4. Tax Certification

Residential Occupancy

When an existing home is sold to a new owner, the closing company, real estate agent, lending institution or private party acquires two items from South Fayette Township:

(1) a Residential Occupancy Registration (PDF) listing the new buyer's (NOT the current owner's) information, and

(2) a Municipal No-Lien Letter. The registration information is required by the township, Allegheny County and the Earned Income Tax collector.

In addition:

  • the local sewer authority must issue a No-Lien Letter ($25) and Dye Test/Lateral Inspection ($225), and
  • the local Real Estate Tax collector must issue a tax certification.

Residential Occupancy Registration & Municipal No-Lien Letter

Mail a written request for a Municipal No-Lien Letter ($30.00) and a Residential Occupancy Registration (PDF) ($30.00), along with a $60.00 check payable to South Fayette Township.

A No-Lien Letter affirms that the township is not owed any debt on the property.

The request should include:

  • Seller name(s)
  • Buyer name(s)
  • Property address
  • Estimated closing date

All correspondence must be mailed to: 

South Fayette Township
100 Township Drive
Second Floor
South Fayette, PA 15017

Vacant Land or Builder's Lot

  • A Municipal No-Lien Letter is required
  • Occupancy Registration is not required


If you are staying in your home and refinancing your mortgage (no transfer of ownership), you must acquire a Municipal No-Lien Letter, but you do not need a new Occupancy Registration.

Refinancing also requires a No-Lien Letter from the sewer authority and a tax certification from the real estate tax collector.

New Construction

Different requirements are in place for newly built homes. Call the Building Department at 412-221-8700 for details.