March 16, 1842 - March 16, 2017
South Fayette Township was officially established on March 16, 1842. Throughout the year 2017, the community celebrated its with a variety of special events.
Early History of South Fayette Township
South Fayette Township is named for Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette (1757-1834), a French general who served the United States in the American Revolution. General Lafayette is celebrated for his support of representative government and his contributions to the achievement of American independence.
The area that today is known as South Fayette Township originally was claimed by both Pennsylvania and Virginia. In 1788, the area became part of Moon Township, one of the seven townships in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. Two years later, Fayette Township was carved out of Moon Township. Finally, in 1842, Fayette Township was divided into two municipalities--North Fayette Township and South Fayette Township.
Historical Society of South Fayette Township
The Historical Society of South Fayette Township, established in 2003, works to preserve community history.
In 2016, the group began setting up a history center in donated space on Battle Ridge Road. The goal is to store and display documents and objects from the past, such as family histories, high school yearbooks, maps, photos and more. The history center is open by appointment only.
To arrange a visit, or to donate an item related to South Fayette history, please email or call society president Emily Williamson-Brady at 412-257-3523 or 412-221-6657.
Learn about South Fayette history through photographs and text in the book "Images of America: South Fayette Township" (Arcadia Publishing, 2015). South Fayette resident Charlotte Smith wrote the book on behalf of the Historical Society of South Fayette Township.
Supply Store in Cuddy - Treveskyn neighborhood
First SF Police Dept 1951
SF Football Team 1930 to 1931
Farmer Josh Richardson and Horse at current Portman Farms barn circa 1905
VFD Treveskyn Station circa 1930s
BoysHome Group circa 1946